Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday's Helping: Banana Leaves

No secret to this wrap

We’ve found them at H Mart and other local specialty food stores. Look for packages of green banana leaves in the frozen foods aisle. One 16 oz. pack usually costs $4.99. Cooking with banana leaves is popular in Southeast Asian and Pacific Island cuisines. It’s a convenient and all-natural wrapping that also lends a slight smokey green tea-leaf flavor to any items that happen to be wrapped inside. You can wrap savory ingredients and seasonings with meat, seafood, or poultry for steaming or baking. The Mixed Stew previously used this food item for making apigige’. We also suggest using banana leaves as placemats or garnish for any island-themed celebration.

1 comment:

  1. George, I'm so glad you paid me a visit.It gave me the opportunity to find yours. I really like what you do here and I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete